State-owned oil and gas company Pertamina is planning to build an oil refinery plant in Kotabaru district in South Kalimantan. The company currently operates six refineries with a total unit capacity of up to 1 million barrels of crude oil per day. The six refineries are located in Dumai Riau with a capacity of 170,000 barrels per day. The breakdown of the production capacity by refinery is as follows:
- Plaju (South Sumatra): 118,000 barrels;
- Cilacap (Central Java): 348,000 barrels;
- Balikpapan (East Kalimantan): 260,000 barrels;
- Balongan (West Java): 125,000 barrels; and
- Kasim (West Papua): 10,000 barrels.